6/27/11

Click Here | Pass It On interview

with 0 comments
I'm really humbled to have been included in another interview, promoting the new series of eBooks I've developed with Hazel Edwards

The complete interview is below and appeared in the latest edition of Pass It On (PIO), a member's only email full of information for illustrators. Check it out at: http://jackiehoskingpio.wordpress.com/


© Jane Connory 2011
What's this illustration for?
This is the cover illustration for ‘Zoo Poo Clues’, the last eBook in the series of four ‘Project Spy Kids’ written by Hazel Edwards. These eBooks are an exciting new way to get kids reading and involved with new technology.

Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?
Escaping my studio and going for a walk really clears my mind to think through a brief or a concept. Once I’m back at my desk I like to sort through these ideas by sketching thumbnails and writing word associations. There’s no turning back once I open a new document on my enormous new Mac monitor.

How did you get your start as an illustrator?
I’ve drawn constantly through my life and my first illustrations were published in ‘The Sun’ newspaper’s kid’s page called ‘Corinella’. Funnily enough, twenty years later I was a senior graphic designer there and was still getting work published in the ‘Herald Sun’ and ‘mX’ newspapers.

Who or what has influenced your work?
Watching my two children (three year old son and seven year old daughter) interact is a great visual reference and inspiration. I also spend way too long browsing the web and checking out design trends, other illustrator’s blogs and online folios. Observing my graphic design students tackle old design problems with fresh minds, is also an endless source of inspiration.

What's your favourite media for creating pictures?
I am currently experimenting with acrylics on wood – very old school and texturally hardcore. But mostly, I find that using Adobe Illustrator CS5 to trace a scanned sketch is a very efficient method. Illustrator documents are easily edited when a client asks for a change of colour or to move a character around. You can also rescale images to suit different sized documents without a diminishing the clarity of the image.

Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?
Procrastinate. I work well under pressure so I look forward to a deadline looming closer and closer - it gets the creative juices flowing.

What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?
Technology has the world in a spin and gotten illustrators worried that they are becoming obsolete. It takes a brave client to negotiate a price, to brief in a job and then let go of the reins. Clients have so much to gain from trusting an illustrator to fill their space with something original and creative.

And the best?
My passion for illustration extends to children’s literature and I love seeing this filter through to my kids and their love of reading. I also like telling people that I ‘colour-in’ for a living, it’s amazing to be doing what you love to do.

What are you working on at the moment?
My secret kids’ picture book about pirates – keep an eye out maties.

Where can we see more of your work?
My folio is online at http://www.janeconnory.com/. I also have a Book Shop at this site where you’ll soon be able to purchase the “Project Spy Kids’ eBooks.
I have also documented the techniques I used to illustrate another series of eBooks called ‘The Frequent Flyer Twins’ on line at  http://janeconnorysblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/creating-frequent-flyers.html.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment